Union: SEIU Service
Position: Registered Orthopaedic Technologist
Reports To: Andrea Ennis, Clinical Team Manager
Hours: 0.2 FTE (15 hours bi-weekly), days/evenings/nights, 8 hour shifts, including weekends
Status: Part Time Regular
Base Rate of Pay: $24.8122 per hour
North York General Hospital, affiliated with the University of Toronto, is one of Canada’s leading community hospitals. We offer our culturally diverse community a wide range of acute care, ambulatory and long-term care services across three sites. The hospital embraces health by providing innovative and compassionate care for the whole family at every stage of life.
Performs and/or assists with Fracture Room and related activities in the care of orthopaedic patients. Functions under the direction of an Emergency Department physician. All roles are essential in providing a safe and healthy environment for patients, staff, physicians, volunteers and others by ensuring that health and safety policies are followed.
- Grade XII
- Orthopaedic Technologist Diploma
- CSOT membership required.
- Computer skills an asset; basic nursing functions.
- Knowledge/experience in Emergency and/or Ambulatory Care programs and Community Services.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, including ability to explain the care of orthopaedic appliances to patient/family and other staff.
- Ability to function with minimal supervision.
- Ability to interpret and follow medical directions.
- Ability to interpret fractures and dislocations on x-ray film.
- Bilingualism in French/English an asset.
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports and adheres to Hospital and Emergency Services Program policies and procedures.
- Fabricates, adjusts and removes orthopaedic devices. Applies mobilization and immobilization devices.
- Application of specialized casts, i.e., fracture brace, body cast, application and removal of Halo body cast.
- Day to day planning and coordination of Ambulatory Care, patient flow, discharge and follow-up patient care.
- Applies skin, skeletal and manual traction.
- Records and reports appropriately.
- Maintains procedural competence.