Unit/Department:Genetics Program, Cytogenetics and Molecular Genetics Laboratories
Reports To:Director, Cytogenetics and Molecular Genetics
Hours:0.5 FTE, days, 3.75 hour shifts
With direction from the Laboratory Director, Cytogenetics and Molecular Genetics and in collaboration with the Laboratory Manager, oversees the overall activities and functions of the Molecular Genetics and Cytogenetics Laboratories. All roles are essential in providing a safe and healthy environment for patients, staff, physicians, volunteers and others by ensuring that health and safety policies and regulations are followed.
• MD and/or Ph.D.
• Certified, or eligible for certification, in Molecular Genetics and Cytogenetics by the Canadian College of Medical Geneticists or the American Board of Medical Genetics.
• Relevant post-doctoral experience in human molecular genetics and cytogenetics
• Current molecular and cytogenetics laboratory techniques
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Excellent organizational and leadership skills
• Supervisory ability and teaching skills
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work in an interdisciplinary environment
• Ability to attract new funds and develop independently funded research programs
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Oversees the day-to-day operations of the Laboratories.
• Provides coverage in the Laboratories as needed.
• Signs out Laboratory reports as needed.
• Monitors quality management and quality improvement activities.
• In consultation with the Director, Cytogenetics and Molecular Genetics, establishes policies, processes
and standard operating procedures.
• Develops and maintains an effective communication link between the Clinical and the Laboratory services and laboratories provincially, nationally and internationally.
• Provides input to the Laboratory Manager on staff performance appraisals.
• Assumes consultant responsibilities regarding Cytogenetics and Molecular Genetics testing for clinical staff at NYGH and outside agencies.
• With the Laboratory Manager, ensures the Laboratories conform to the requirements of Ontario Laboratory Accreditation (OLA).
Important Note: At North York General, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. North York General is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.