Position: Unit Secretary
Unit/Department: Intensive Care Unit
Reports To: Clinical Team Manager
Hours: 1.0 FTE, days, evenings, 8 hour shifts, including weekends
Status: Full Time Temporary (approximately 6 months)
Base Rate of Pay: $23.5993 per hour
At North York General, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. North York General is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
Performs administrative, secretarial, clerical and receptionist duties for a busy Intensive Care Unit. All roles are essential in providing a safe and healthy environment for patients, staff, physicians, volunteers and others by ensuring that health and safety policies are followed.
- Accurate and efficient typing skills of 45 w.p.m.
- Proficiency in required computer programs.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills.
- Ability to function in a busy environment and prioritize under stress.
- Team player with maturity in dealing with all contacts.
- Bilingualism in French/English an asset.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILIITES:
- Supports and adheres to Hospital policies and procedures.
- Communicates with staff, patients, families, internal and external parties.
- Coordinates various interdepartmental activities and requests such as transportation of patients for tests, discharges and services required on the unit.
- Enters, updates and maintains Kronos electronic payroll system for authorization by the Clinical Team Manager
- Accepts, coordinates and triages telephone calls and inquiries and processes them in an appropriate and timely manner.
- Assumes responsibility for identification and advancement of issues and concerns with the Clinical Team Manager or Coordinator in a time sensitive manner.
- Compiles and disseminates material/documents related to Program activity.
- Manages confidential information in a sensitive and professional manner.
- Maintains attendance/time reporting information and arranges appropriate relief including agencies.
- Transcribes physician’s written orders and processes them in an appropriate and timely manner; notifies appropriate staff, and specific departments as required.
- Processes requisitions as required (bloodwork, CT, etc.), maintains documentation and follows up on outstanding information (e.g. test results).
- Maintains organization of admissions and discharges, and patient related information and documentation, including kardex and medication information, dismantles charts and enters information electronically as required.
- Prepares statistics, reports and discharge instructions, photocopying, prioritizing and processing of information as required, and manages unit supplies, services and repair needs.