Position: Rehab-Physiotherapy Assistant, Certified
Unit/Department: 4 West Orthopaedics
Reports To: Clinical Team Manager
Status: Part Time Temporary (until approximately September 2014)
Hours: 0.7FTE, days, 8 hour shifts, including weekends
Base Rate of Pay: $23.7645 per hour
Responsible for independently carrying out prescribed rehabilitation therapy programs under the direction and supervision of an occupational or physical therapist and performing administrative duties and cleaning equipment as required. All roles are essential in providing a safe and healthy environment for patients, staff, physicians, volunteers and others by ensuring that health and safety policies are followed.
- Diploma from an accredited community college Occupational Therapy Assistant/Physiotherapy Assistant (OTA/PTA) program.
- Interest in sport medicine and orthopaedics.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills.
- Ability to communicate with patients and co-workers in a professional manner.
- Ability to work effectively with supervising therapist.
- Ability to lead group sessions and motivate patients to participate.
- Ability to work in a physically demanding, fast-paced, challenging environment.
- Ability to adapt to a changing workload and organize duties within designated time period.
- Ability to apply physiotherapeutic modalities.
- Bilingualism in French/English an asset
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Carrying out exercise programs with patients on an individual or group basis and assisting with gait training as prescribed by the physiotherapist.
- Carrying out appropriate patient transfers and demonstrating safe lifting techniques and proper body mechanics to nursing staff and patients’ families as instructed by the therapist.
- Carrying out ADL training with patients to facilitate independence as prescribed by the occupational therapist.
- Conducting occupational therapy activity groups under the supervision of an occupational therapist once or twice weekly.
- Assisting patients in properly setting up strength training equipment.
- Recording statistics